Call for Submissions –
This preconference aims for a presentation of debates and issues regarding big data and datafication of societies, towards which audience research can make a contribution. As such, we are looking for submissions which think about the practices, politics, ethics and implications of data, datafication and dataism in lived, everyday contexts. Papers need not be at full and final state, and we welcome work in progress, conceptual discussions, methodological musings and empirical findings alike. We are particularly interested in also listening to projects which may have just been started or are in their early stages.
The aim of this pre-conference is to:
- Encourage and coordinate the participation of audience research in the debates surrounding the dafafication of media audiences/society and its implications.
- Discuss and underline the applicability and relevance of audience research, its methods and concepts
- Discuss concerted research action on the topic / Chart the territory for coming research
- Discuss methodological and ethical challenges related to the study of audiences in the context of datafied societies
- Discuss and challenge the relevance of the concept of audience in an age of data
We invite submissions addressing but not restricted to the following topics –
- Platforms, and being an audience/user in platform societies
- New literacies including data and algorithmic literacies
- Connected devices including connected toys and health and fitness devices
- Datafication, justice and democracy
- Audience/user labour in datafied societies
- Regulation and data
- Quantified audiences, quantified selves
- Everyday life and everyday experiences of data and algorithms
- Surveillance and being an audience in surveilled societies
- Conceptual, ethical, practical and methodological implications for audience research
We ask for 300 words abstracts to be submitted on this link for interventions that encourage new thinking, discussions and critical reflections and we emphasise that these need not be finished projects/papers.
Dates and deadlines are as follows –
- Submission: May 14th
- Acceptance: May 30th
- Registration: September 15th
The pre-conference fee is as follows –
Fee non-members 60 CH
Fee ECREA 45 CH
Fee PhD 30 CH
Deadline for the payment of the pre-conference fee is 15th June.